Embark on a path as a new kind of designer. Become a strategist who sees the world from a human perspective and re-think what is possible.
You’ll learn complex problem finding, framing and solving to create sustainable futures. Lead innovation alongside a diverse cohort of peers including entrepreneurs, social scientists, artists, designers and engineers to imagine, plan and develop a better world. This program prepares you to think holistically - exploring, challenging and finding meaning in order to reframe and guide both present and future actions.
The MDes in Strategic Foresight and Innovation is offered as two options:
- a part-time, three-year program
- a full-time, two-year program
In the SFI program, you will develop design-thinking skills that include analysis, synthesis and strategic and creative thinking. These skills are critical for professionals in the public and private sectors. This program will develop your expertise in foresight (for example, identifying future problems) and research methodologies. These skills will help you create innovative and future-enhancing solutions in your final research project.
The program will enable you to:
- Explore and test innovative methods of organization, creation and production from a human perspective
- Develop strategic, innovative and anticipatory solutions (strategic foresight) and implementation plans for design, business or policy innovations, or for organizational or infrastructural change
- Navigate complex problems and find solutions that will lead to the development of new and sustainable futures.
Check out the course calendar here for current courses offered. Explore the SFI Program Guide here.
In this program your learning environment includes:
- a diverse student body with access to outstanding faculty and industry experts
- a collaborative studio environment in your core classes. You’ll work in trans-disciplinary teams on many projects
- an advisory committee of faculty and, in the case of real-world projects, public or private sector professionals will support and guide your major project
- guest lectures and critiques from professional strategists and foresight experts
You'll take part in guest lectures and critiques from professional strategists and foresight experts from a variety of industries tackling the challenges of the future.